October 7 - 13 was National Fire Prevention week. Now, it's Pumpkin Time!
This years’ theme is “Look, Listen, Learn.” Here at the EMMC we figured this was the perfect time to share a few themed tips to help stay safe.
- Check your dorm for any potential fire hazards. If you’ve got ceiling decorations look and make sure they don’t block the sprinklers in your dorm.
- Do you have a coffee maker or microwave? Look to see if its plugged directly into a wall outlet instead of an extension cord.
- Learn your dorm floor plan for alternate escape routes in the event that the route used for drills is blocked off.
- Learn the location of the closest fire alarm in your dorm.
- Listen for others in need of assistance. Try to help without endangering yourself or remember their location so you can tell first responders when they arrive.
- In the even of a fire, call campus police at
- 911 from a campus phone
- Active any emergency blue light phone
- 919-515-3000 from you cell phone