Personal safety is paramount with the Pack! The convenience of ride sharing services is huge, but take caution and be aware. The following is a great reminder list of items to check when using a ride share service.
Rideshare Safety Tips
- Confirm the driver and car: Before accepting a ride, confirm the driver is the same person the service notified as being sent. Always ensure that (1) the license plate, (2) the driver photo, and (3) the driver name match what’s listed in the app. Confirm ALL of these details before getting into a rideshare vehicle – check and double check.
- Check the driver’s rating: Both Uber© and Lyft© have platforms to rate and check a driver’s rating. Know that Uber© drivers can also rate passengers, just as passengers rate drivers, which encourages positive interaction.
- Ride in the back seat: It is recommended that passengers using rideshare services sit in the back seat.
- Buckle up: Not only is it a smart thing to do, it’s the law.
- Protect your personal information: There’s no need to share your phone number or other contact information with your driver. If a rider and driver need to contact each other, the Uber© app automatically anonymizes both phone numbers to protect everyone’s privacy.
- Follow your intuition: Trust your instincts and use your best judgement when using rideshare. If you ever feel you are in an emergency situation, call 911 immediately.
- Avoid excessive drinking: Although it’s a good idea to call for a ride if you’ve been drinking alcohol, having too much to drink can lead to a dangerous situation.
- Never give cash: Both Lyft© and Uber© automatically charge rides to the riders’ credit cards – no cash should ever be exchanged.