Are you interested in sustainable travel? Would an app with a map help you walk or bike more? Try the OnCampus App to find out all the information that you need about both!
Emergency Management and Mission Continuity+ Transportation + Sustainability Stewards at NC State work together to promote safe and sustainable travel methods around campus and around the Raleigh Area. The WolfTrails program highlights different methods of travel including the bus system, bicycling, walking, Lime, as well as North Carolina’s program Share the Ride. These programs allow students, faculty, and staff Pack Partnerships to maneuver their way around campus in safe and sustainable ways.
Here are some sustainable options:
- Bicycling is a great way to travel – it’s healthy, fun, and environmentally friendly! Personal bike registration is free and mandatory; Lime bikes and scooters are available too!
- Transportation has a cool walking map that estimates the time it would take students to get from one class to another. This resource was printed out as well as it is posted online.
- Wolfline Bus information is available through the OnCampus app. Plan ahead by figuring out which buses are coming to a stop near you and when they are expected to be at that stop.
- Local and Regional Transit with the GoPass is available for students, faculty, and staff for $5 for students and $60/annually for faculty and staff or monthly for $5. This pass is a great way to reduce your impact on the environment going to work or school.
Partnering with Transportation and Sustainability Stewards – help us spread the word about sustainable travel and how our campus can move forward more!
What You Can Do
- Ride the Wolfline or a regional/local bus for easy travel to and through campus.
- Ride a bike or walk as part of an active campus commute.
- Ride in a carpool or vanpool to save gas and money while also reducing pollution.
The Year of Partnerships is meant to bring together a campus unit, a student organization, and Emergency Management & Mission Continuity. What exactly is the Year of Partnership? Emergency Management and Mission Continuity works with units across all parts of campus (and beyond to counties, research stations and more). We hear ideas on topics that interest you – the planners and coordinators at the unit level. We invite our campus partners to share our monthly messaging to different audiences in order to get the word out about programs and shared resources that benefits everyone!
NC State Emergency Management and Mission Continuity + NC State Student Organization +
NC State Service Organization = Preparing the Pack, One Partner at a time!
Walking through and around NC State
When walking, remember to consider personal and traffic safety at all times:
- When no sidewalk is available, walk facing traffic.
- Make eye contact with the driver before crossing the street.
- If a walk signal is available, press the walk button and wait for the “walk” indicator before crossing the street.
- Even if a walk signal is present, look both ways before crossing the street.
- Avoid using headphones or cellphones when interacting with traffic, and always remain alert to vehicles around you.
- Wear bright clothing at night so that drivers can see you.
- Use the buddy system at night for personal safety.
- Be especially aware of vehicles in parking lots as they may not be paying attention for pedestrian activity when backing in or out of a parking space.
Check out this infographic to learn more about the WolfTrails program and the NC State Transportation Walking Map!